some questions for Henry

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Sat Jan 2 14:03:45 PST 1999

Henry's way of drawing on the full span of Chinese history to discuss contemporary issues is so interesting. Yes, the world does have a different appearance depending on the culture from which it is viewed. Well, that's obvious.

Since you're on the list, Henry, I can't resist asking you what you think of Needham's work, "Science and Civilization in China." I've also read Fairbank's new (relatively new) survey of Chinese history. Would you mind saying a few words about these two?

Much obliged, Quincy