Carter on Social Security

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 2 13:19:24 PST 1999

Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

>I just heard Carter say on the King show that twice as many people
>believe in UFOs than there are who believe they will actually collect
>social security someday. What do LBOers have to say about that?

He's probably drawing on a poll that right-wing pollster Frank Luntz did for an anti-SS group. Luntz has been reprimanded by the pollsters' professional association for devious questions & reporting of results. What he didn't report from this poll was that people *wanted* SS; they just didn't believe they'd get it. Which, given the political environment, isn't that unreasonable an assumption.

Doug