abstraction

Sun Jan 3 21:01:15 PST 1999

Doug, I don't think I understand what Stuart Hall is getting at.

1. yes there are different levels of abstraction. The production of surplus value is studied in abstraction before the approach to the phenomenal world in which one finds industrial and mercantile enterprises. This distinction is not provided at the more abstract level; the point is that this first approximation throws into relief something lost at the lower levels of approximation--the determinants of the production of the total mass of surplus value. As Dobb noted correctly, that's why we don't throw away the first approximation once we have the second, as Samuelson--a vulgar economist-- suggested Marx should have done.

2. Hall confuses this form of abstraction with the use of ceteris paribus clauses--holding certain premises constant. We can say that Marx assumed the rate of exploitation would remain constant in his study of the changes of the OCC on the rate of profit. As far as I can tell, Marx's use of such an artifice is one of Brad DeLong's criticism of Marx.

3. Mattick Jr only denied that the explanatory movement towards the reproduction of the concrete in thought was ever intended to reach the level of relative prices or predictions of the earnings outlooks for individual companies and the like. It was the movement in the rate of profit--along with concentration/centralisation, the crisis cycle, the growth of the reserve army of labor--that Marx attempted to explain--that is, the economic law of motion. His idea here seems similar to Karl Korsch's in *Karl Marx* and Mattick Sr's chapter on the labor theory of value in *Marx and Keynes*.

I must say my head is spinning from the nastiness in the other exchange, so I apologize for the poor quality of my response.