there's no such thing as positivism

Sam Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Mon Jan 4 12:31:42 PST 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> In message <368A4B3A.E5C79EE1 at netlink.com.au>, rc&am
> <rcollins at netlink.com.au> objects to my argument that a rejection of
> objectivity would lead one to abandon Marx's critique of capitalism.
>
> But that seems unavoidably to be the case as far as I can see. It is
> interesting that neo-classical economics has been cited as an example of
> what positivism is, as if its scientific pretensions were proof of the
> objectivistic caste of contemporary theory.

I was not citing neo-classical economics as an example of postivist science. I cited it because many neo-classical economists believe it is a science in the positivist sense. Neo-classical economics is pseudo-science in positivist terms because no neo-classical theorem can be empirically falsified. Samir Amin,amongst many others, has argued that nc theory is a tautology which would mean it is devoid of empirical content. Daniel Hausman is a philosophical defender of NC theory. I haven't read any of his books but they seem sophisticated, just in case anyone is interested in this sort of thing.

Sam Pawlett.