Pollitt on West

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Mon Jan 4 22:26:34 PST 1999

Kelly, it hasn't been that long since manufacturing workers in America were the ones who had to sell their moble homes and stuff, has it? And, did they react any differntly than their white-collar cousins are now? I don't think so.

I think that the question that was raised, I think by Caroll, about the validity of the notion of the "middle-class" is really important. Now, I'm a musician, but for much of the time in my professional life, I "worked" the violin. Doesn't that sound funny? Nobody ever says that. But, you see, we were completely proletarianized. Hence, our union (I mean, the Mafia). One of the emblems of capitalist progress is that more and more professions become proletarianized. Look what's happening to doctors. The working class is not defined by what it does, but the conditions under which it is done.

Quincy