Euro-ka!

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Jan 4 23:51:09 PST 1999

At 19:36 04/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris Buford:
>>What has happened now that makes it serious to argue that capitalism has
>>brought the prospect of peace to western Europe? It is that monopoly
>>capitalism has become transnational capitalism. It has gone far beyond the
>>bounds of a single national state.
>
>Have you been dipping into Kautsky again, you naughty boy?

Note the unprincipled shifting of ground without self-criticism. No comment on the issue of capitalism and peace, but a provocative move onto new territory. When it all becomes too complicated LP will be happy to call for boycotts and exclusions of those he cannot argue with.

I wonder if we can catch him with a formula. It is an important theme of the marxist response to globalisation. I wonder if he could demonstrate with direct references, that Lenin's criticism of Kautsky on this point, is what he lazily assumes it to be. Or has LP himself just been indulging in dilettante dipping?

Chris Burford

London