So what's the deal in China, Henry

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 5 02:17:07 PST 1999

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> Stephen:
>

> As for the Greenfield/Leong article, my view is while I do not disagree with their micro
> analysis, I don't think they have a clear understanding of the big picture. I tried to
> write a response back in November, but other activities inferered and I did not feel like
> explaining why I did not beat my grandmother.

No, but goood choice, beating grandmothers won't get us anywhere.
> The problem with labor activists is that they have a tendency to hit at the nearest victim
> rather than the real villian. Beating up the foreman will only

get you a new foreman.

This is something tha bosses everywhere tend to agree on. Then again, who said anything about beating up foremen?

> As for your complaint about the unsympathetic Chinese
buraucrats, to them, you are part of
> Western imperialism.

I wasn't complaining. In fact I was noting that many bureacrats in China or elsewhere might hve fine intentions about helping workers, but that their structural ties to capital very much limit their choices in that regard. As for their view of me as part Western Imperialism, well, so was Edgar Snow. The question is what is one's position vis a vis imperialism, supportive, resistant? The same goes for capitalism. Speaking for myself Henry, as critical as I am of the situation facing labor in China, I am no fan of anti-China hysteria. Nor am i supportive when a Harry Wu receives funding from the AFL-CIO. And I have confronted him when he spoke in Hawaii about his slavish devotion to the US foreign policy agenda.

They don't feel much solidarity with the America labor movement,
> which seems to them to be full of redneck anti-Communists.

Well, seems to be just don't cut it. Within any labor movement there are anti-communists and those who are not anti-communist. Ironic that you use the word 'redneck' to describe the American labor movement, a derogatory term that the right-wing in the US uses to describe workers who are organized. Can't we do better than this?

Steve