Ehrenreich on fun

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Tue Jan 5 07:04:57 PST 1999

>>I can not speak for the left to any large degree than what exists in Ann
>>Arbor and to a lesser extent Detroit. But one thing that I have noticed
>>is that leftists/activists here sure can party when at parties. But when
>>it comes to meetings they tend to be as boring as cab be.
>
>The leftist I know can boogie on the dance floor.

Oops. leftists plural.

The leftist party band of all time is Stereolab. They ROCK. So did the Clash. At Lollapalooza one year, one of the Beastie Boys yelled "Stereolab in the house!" And Stereolab rocked. I just heard on the radio that there will be 4 Tibetan Freedom Concerts this year, simultaneously in Chicago, Sydney and two other cities I forget. I'm definitely going A) because there will be good bands B) so I can be a contrarian and see if the touchy-feely buddhists will get physical if baited.

Saw P.J. O'Rourke on CSPAN booknotes discussing his book "Eat the rich." He called the Chinese system fascist. Companies succeed not because they are entrepreneurial but because the government picks them for their political contacts and then they get money for marketing, etc. It's top-down capitalism or so he says.

Peter