europhoria

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 5 14:34:50 PST 1999

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm kind of out of touch down here in Appalachia, but it seems the euro has
> had a remarkable debut, with continental stock markets up about 5% and the
> currency strong against the US$. What it's all mean?

The end of the Ameribubble and the dawn of the Eurobubble, is my guess. It's not really a surprise, when you consider that the EU continues to pile up huge trading surpluses and has most of the world's banking assets stashed in its vaults.

Also, I'll bet a goodly pile of euros that Japan and the other East Asian countries are taking extremely detailed and copious notes of the whole EU/euro transformation, with an eye towards launching something similar for East Asia in the palpably post-American future.

-- Dennis