Carter on Social Security

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jan 6 11:53:43 PST 1999

> > I just heard Carter say on the King show that twice as many people
> > believe in UFOs than there are who believe they will actually collect
> > social security someday. What do LBOers have to say about that?
>
> There is a Libertarian group, [something]-2000 (sorry, I don't remember
> the exact name) that sponsored a poll which sure enough found that
> more young people (it was young people) believe in UFOs than will
> collect social security someday. This particular group is supposed
> to be a youth group concerned with financing Social Security in
> the next millennium. It first supported means testing, and now
> supports privatization. . . .

The group is Third Millenium. It is not libertarian, but basically a youth counterpart to Peter Peterson's Concord Coalition. The leaders of the group are also employees in Peterson's business (he's a big-foot bond trader). They actually are a little soft on privatization out of fear it will impede deficit reduction/surplus maximization.

Should not be confused with the 2030 Center, also a youth group, who are with the good guys.

mbs