Oakland highlights

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Fri Jan 8 09:00:04 PST 1999

One might also say that Clinton's behavior is understood as 'black' whereas it is really working class, and this is reconstructed as 'black' to avoid the generalizing implications . . .

This is not to say that Clinton's life style is exclusive to or especially pervasive among the working class, only that acknowledgement of its commonality (beyond minorities) is suppressed. (Max Sawicky)

Yeah, you've got a point here. People do like to make fun of Clinton's "white trash" roots. The scene in Primary Colors when Travolta is getting outside all those Krispy Kremes says it all.

See Annalee Newitz and Matt Wray, eds., White Trash: Race and Class in America (Routledge, 1996). All in English, with a chapter by yours truly on race, income, and work, called "Trash-o-nomics." (Doug Henwood)

See, I would have gone for that class analysis, but there is something else going on between Clinton and especially the southern and western House and Senate. I mean what makes white trash, trash and not just poor? What makes the idea of funky sex so odious to these genteel christians? Why do these same House/Senate members seem so mysteriously united on every single piece of thought or deed, that has the slightest hint of race--abortion, teen pregnancy, drugs, crime, education. For example why do everyone of these guys hate the UN? That isn't about class or 'foreign involvements.'

No, this isn't just a class act. There is some deep serious and specfically American thing going on down there. Something pecularly American is at work, and the only thing I can think of, that is remotely like it, is racism.

Chuck Grimes,

gotta to go work. I think we should start looking at this impeachment in its more American setting--the mythical world of whitie.