Oakland highlights

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 8 03:12:34 PST 1999

William S. Lear wrote:
>One thing that I would suggest is to look at the funding of these
>people --- which business sectors are supporting them? A good place
>to start is the probability that on most economic and social issues
>these businesses (Republicans, whitewing Xtians) cannot compete with
>other businesses (Democrats) who are willing to move a micrometer more
>to the left. So, the answer is simple: fund hatred. Fund "morality".
>Fund "family values". Fund "individual responsibility". Fund anything
>which gets the topic off of political and economic issues that you
>cannot win, because you represent only a tiny sliver (even tinier than
>the opposition) of the populace.

After the Rep sweep in 1994, Fortune had a cover story wondering if they were really the biz party after all. Hardcore moralizing and the extremist spirit are not the Fortune 500 style. Imagine advertising if the whitewing Xtians had their way!

Gingrich & his Progress & Freedom Foundation got lots of funding from new money Wall Street cowboys, like hedge fund hotshot Richard Gilder (who was also the largest shareholder in Valu-Jet, if I'm remembering correctly). Not exactly Goldman Sachs, in other words. But Gingrich is an establishmentarian next to the class of '94. I think a hint might be in DeLay's career pre-Congress - he owned an exterminating business in Dallas. Hated the EPA because they wouldn't let him use sufficiently nasty chemicals. Rotarians with state power.

Doug