Malcolm X and building a Black Tammany Hall

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 8 09:33:06 PST 1999

I agree pretty fully with Lou's post, including the sentence copied below, but I would like to add a couple footnotes to it. (a) One always *aims* at some "entire" group [I use "group" here as a blank check]. (b) But one also remembers that in practice, even in times of maximum struggle, one will only reach a minority of that group, that the majority will remain more or less detached, and that another minority will be aggressive traitors.

These points are not contradictory. To do less than *aim* at the ENTIRE group will doom one to one or another of the various ideological hangups that Lou mentions in his post -- that is one will get caught up in the endless nonsense of attempting to predict in advance the exact psychological state of everyone in the group, who will respond to what kind of stimulus, etc. etc.

Lou is of course also right to note (as others have done) that "community" is a term that comes up in the course of struggle, and is always defined in the context of a given struggle. There is nothing that anyone can say about the term in the abstract that will be very useful.

Carrol