Sebastian Edwards

Fri Jan 8 16:12:43 PST 1999

Re:

>The main points of neo-liberalism include:

Not bad save for some tendentious and inaccurate glosses, and save for the claims that #2 and #5 are on the list...

>1) THE RULE OF THE MARKET.
>
>Liberating "free" enterprise or private enterprise from
>any bonds imposed by the government...

OK

>2) CUTTING PUBLIC EXPENDITURE FOR SOCIAL SERVICES like
>education and health care. REDUCING THE SAFETY-NET FOR
>THE POOR, and even maintenance of roads, bridges, water
>supply --

No. We want as strong a social safety net as can be constructed without risks of hyperinflation. We want higher public expenditure on infrastructure as long as the government actually spends the money on infrastructure.

>3) DEREGULATION. Reduce government regulation...

OK

>4) PRIVATIZATION. Sell state-owned enterprises, goods
>and services to private investors...

YEP

>5) ELIMINATING THE CONCEPT OF "THE PUBLIC GOOD" or
>"COMMUNITY"

NOPE

Brad DeLong