Oakland highlights

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 04:38:57 PST 1999

In message <199901090053.TAA26693 at bonjour.cc.columbia.edu>, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes

>Maybe it is because you are totally clueless about black people.

Just what is Louis' problem with Rakesh? I guess I would be foolish to get involved having felt the rough side of Louis' tongue myself on a few occasions ... so to speak.

But Louis' desire to defend the reputation of Malcolm X at all costs, and the honour of black people against all criticism seems a bit self- conscious to me.

Rakesh knows his stuff, and has some interesting things to say about real debates within black politics. But to Louis this is all sacrilege, 'lunacy' and something that must be shouted down at all costs.

I don't see why Louis becomes so intemperate when it comes to Rakesh. (I seem to remember that Louis was similarly outraged on another list when a contributor of American Indian descent questioned Louis' uncritical lionisation of the American Indian Movement.)

Louis seems particularly angered that Rakesh likes to give some citations and references for what he says. For myself, I'm more than grateful and often follow up Rakesh's voluminous reading, with gratitude. -- Jim heartfield