[Fwd: Oakland highlights]

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 10 19:52:12 PST 1999

The unfortunate post I sent to the list instead of directly to Angela was the last in a series of posts to Angela in response to off-list posts she had sent to me. I was not really prepared now to develop my position in a way that I thought suitable for the list itself. But since I sent that post, I am now forwarding the preceding post to Angela, since it will provide a little context.

Doug speaks of communicating across borders. I think lbo does serve this purpose rather successfully. I am delighted, for example, to be on the same list with Max Sawicky, rough as many of our exchanges have been, and of course with Doug himself.

But not all borders are easy to debate across, and the border established, for example, by the passage from Rakesh quoted in Ken's last post, a despicable attack on nearly two generations of black leadership, is not a border across which debate can be very useful. If U.S. leftists will really tolerate positions such as that, then the struggles of the 60s were indeed wasted.

I find it sad that someone should threaten to make a scene over my nasty personal comment on Rakesh, but apparently that same person can contain his/her equanimity in the face of Rakesh's steadily worsening attack on so many heroes of the black liberation struggle. It only underlines for me the probability that most Americans objectively refuse to believe that African Americans can be trusted to think for themselves. THat is the only assumption that, for me, makes Rakesh's position intelligible.

Carrol

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu> Subject: Re: Oakland highlights Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:35:21 -0600 Size: 12808 URL: <../attachments/19990110/cf06970d/attachment.eml>