Banks may be spying soon too

Rkmickey at aol.com Rkmickey at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 23:17:31 PST 1999

Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> posted on Jan. 8 a Libertarian Party press release: Subject: Banks may be spying soon too

I posted the release on another bulletin board and received the following response. K.Mickey

(Posted by "sharn") Before everyone panics over a Libertarian Party memo, please note that the proposed (and that is all they are at this point)have resulted in the largest negative public response to date for any proposal by any national banking regulator. As a result of such negative response (the greatest source being fiancial institutions who do not wish to be cast as a ad hoc law enforcement agency), it is unlikely that any proposal of this nature will find its way into a regulation. Of course, your response to the FDIC director is always helpful and I in no way discourage such continued objections to the proposal.

I think it's interesting that when Clinton signed an executive order requiring banks to report ANY banking transactions involving persons named on a 5 page small print list distributed to banks some three years ago, that no one raised bloody hell...of course the names were all hispanic surnames and many quite common. This was in a misguided belief that such reporting would make in roads in breaking the South American drug traffic. The realized result was that it was that the reporting would be so burdensome to the normal business activity of financial institutions, that the executive directive was ignored with no adverse consequence to the financial institutions.

from Marta's original post: