Race and America (was Re: Oakland highlights)

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Sun Jan 10 22:57:24 PST 1999

At 05:04 PM 1/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>as labile and shifting as the latest corporate allegiances. Racial
>identity, however you want to define the thing, may be where the
>discontents of nationalism (especially 3rd world nationalism) somehow
>interact with the latest multinational ideologies -- generating
>powerful mestizo resistance strategies in the process.
>
>-- Dennis

Nah. I see way too much apartheid in television commercials. The old stand-up comedian joke is that whenever they do a black McDonald's commercial, they have to get all the whites out and ship the blacks in.

I listen to a lot of pop radio, and get that same apartheid vibe all over. Even on a station here that claims "No Color Lines", their position is that they are "black" (but the owners are not). Media seems to be ignorant of the day to day multiculturalism and racism in their broadcast range. Instead, they construct distorted, parallel understandings. They create their ideal customer -- the wigger -- with different mixes of actual/ideal race -- but all shopping for identity.

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com http://www.riceball.com/ethnoveg - the ethnic studies + vegetarianism list