[PEN-L:2054] The PJs

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Mon Jan 11 11:27:37 PST 1999

Aside from typing in "toiled" for "toilet", I forgot to mention something else: I can't think of another show that better demonstrates that Jim Heartfield is full of hot air about "fine" or "high" art. Heartfield claims on the Marxism list that "The truncated and exhausted lives of the working class is the basis for a culture that is mean, small-minded and sensation-hungry: the television". Murphy has shown that the culture of the poor (or "poor culture" as Heartfield disdainfully labels it), and expressive art built upon it, indeed has something important to offer.

Just because working-class lives are truncated in one dimension does not mean those lives are totally stunted. Black urban life and its culture is very rich and interesting to some, and the full panorama of human life is played out there under cover of poverty and racism. Murphy does us all a favor with this show, which takes off the covers and shows us an accurate backdrop fronted by humorous characters, instead of characters who might otherwise be depicted as "truncated and exhausted" through, typically, drugs and/or crime.

Bill