tone

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 11 16:26:07 PST 1999

Louis and all,

I think what Doug meant is that some people have objected to him about other participants style of discourse, not to point a finger at you. It is always subjective, what one person finds offensive another may not. Rakesh has said he can handle what Carol said. While some people may feel that "civility" has been breached, I think the last thing we need to do is go into our respective corners about this.

Whoever said that the left has traditionally had these problems is on the mark, I see it all the time and it does create a problem for organizing, getting anywhere politically. Most all relationships - families, partners, et all -deal with stepping on someone else's toes. I've actually had many people tell me that they don't talk about politics amongst friends, relatives or strangers because someone always gets upset and it ends a brawl of some sort. There is a general reluctance to speak about politics because of its divisive potential. What does that lead to? Apathy, pretty much the awful mess we are in now. This list for me is a wonderful relief from that apathy.

No one should unsubscribe from this list. Can't we just learn something from this, take a few deep breaths, and move on?

Marta Russell