Incivility

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jan 12 08:24:53 PST 1999

> . . .
> However, I want to register in the strongest terms my
> disagreement with Nathan Newman's off-list protest, which prompted Doug to
act and Louis to depart. (It is noteworthy that Nathan and the other touchingly tender, easily offended complainers were scrupulously silent a few months back while Louis hammered me with much harsher words than he has ever applied to Rakesh. Not all of them, though; some of today's civility gang directed their own colorful insults my way.) . . .

Before you arrived -- or surfaced -- there was a good-hearted fellow here named James Withrow who said something dumb and was basically savaged all around. I believe he worked at Borders. Not being any kind of bigfoot academic or old lefty, he didn't mount much of a defense and took his leave, leaving us with better but fewer list-members, so to speak.

I also have to note Doug's own recent remark about Eric Alterman, who is off-list, to raise the point that if harsh language -- "the model of war," if you will -- is acceptable treatment of people off-list, then the rationale for prohibiting it on-list becomes problematic.

> . . . You can't have
> it both ways, folks.

Indeed.

> . . .
> Finally, the civility police face one direction only (to
> their left). Rakesh has been handy with offensive taunts throughout.
. . .

Not the first time Rakesh has executed this pirouette either.

In general I'd be for more rather than less civility, provided it was consistently observed.

mbs