Incivility

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jan 12 11:34:40 PST 1999

At the risk of further attention being lavished on Rakesh and his loopy formulations, he cannot claim any civil, academic detachment, much less intellectual seriousness, with such non sequiturs such as:

> . . .
> have said nothing of my criticism of Gitlin's racist populism as if

R should accomplish a tenth of what Gitlin has.

> . . .
> Carrol's prozac influenced comments did not offend me.

> I said that the NOI, including when Malcolm X was its major spokesman,
> had made the greatest contribution to the Klan since the invention of the
> bedsheet. . . .

> terms of at least one important tradition of the black church
--pro boss. . . .

> It seems quite possible to me that Malcolm X would never have given up
> basking in the pan african glory, ridiculously taken as liberating by
> Yoshie and Wahneema, of the Organization of African Unity--a true viper's
> nest. . . .

It is hard not to be provoked by these sort of comments. Along with civility, there is the matter of respect for those not present, not to mention basic fairness.

I sympathize with LP and Ken, though I have to agree that to some extent they went over the top in response.

Why, you may ask? Well, if you don't know, I would have to say that one of two possibilities obtain: a) you've never been involved in left politics of any sort, or if you were your mind was elsewhere; or b) you did not begin to follow left politics until the late 1970's. There may be an age thing operating here.

For all you young folks, the plain fact is that by word and deed, the evolving Malcolm X was a leading inspiration to the movement, for all its faults and his, and to compare this unfavorably to 'council communism' is the height of absurdity. There is nothing in Malcolm X's evolution that suggests this was inappropriate. If you were there you would understand that; if you were there and you don't, you weren't there.

Some people seem to confuse R's plenitude of literary citations with historical understanding. But they are not the same thing. A phrase from a quote by somebody may occasion extended, remote ramblings about compradors or humidors, but this should not be confused with analysis.

I recall one episode where a stray quote from a non-list participant led Rakesh to describe him as some kind of right-wing bastard.

There is some responsibility on the part of posters. We can't spank Rakesh for his comments, but some stiff language (within limits) is not at all inappropriate. Remember, I'm one of the infamous critics of black nationalism myself. But listening to Rakesh makes me want to celebrate kwanza.

In its own way, this council communist affectation is simply elitism by another name. Really-existing insurgents do not measure up to the implied ideal, and never will. Doubly annoying is the 'shopkeeper' line. For reasons we should understand, blacks in urban areas, among others, don't have access to well-paying industrial or union jobs, so self- employment or small proprietorship are important resorts. Minority urban populations are not less worthy on this account. The "shopkeeper" rap is disguised suburbanite/academic class and race prejudice. Others have done this in respect of whites only, but that's a different syndrome.

In practice this posture provides an excuse to abstain from politics, but to call it the highest form of politics. It IS academic bullshit, whether you're marxist, social-democratic, or whatever.

REALLY annoying.

mbs