That civility thing

Wed Jan 13 09:27:58 PST 1999

Before beginning a quick reply, I would like to call attention to two articles in recent NACLAs by Donna DeCesare. In the current issue, she documents how resident aliens often apprehended for petty crime have been deported in accordance with the Anti Terrorism Act of 1996 (I believe). So gang kids have been deported to El Salvador where there is controversy about how linked these deportees are to the rise in street crime. DeCesare focuses on the stories of a few kids who have been deported to Haiti, how their families in America have been shamed, how they attempt to make a new home in a human hell. First class reporting. And something quite real that makes me embarrassed to submit the following.

Ingrid,

I actually think Ken's insinuation that I may be a Nazi because Mattick may have sponsored one was fair in the context of the Klan/NOI-Malcolm X relation I had been emphasizing. That was fair play. I provided a response, and have yet to check into Mattick's relationship with Strasser refererence to whom is not to found in PMsr's writings to the best of my knowledge.

I seemed to have posted some inappropriate insults. Well, I didn't want to try to appear superior on the basis of my putative civility. I could care fucking less about winning any argument on such grounds. I am not comfortable occupying the moral high ground.

Now I owe Arthur a couple of replies. As for Kwanzaa, I see it 1. as an effort to stimulate the buying of more stuff for celebration and 2. I am skeptical of how African and thus radically "other" black American life really is and concerned about the attempt to ground morally the life of all blacks in a pseudo African philosophy which discloses some primordial or racial unity of African blacks, diasporic or not (though the growing diaspora is within Africa itself given displacement and movement of economic and political refugees--a couple of books out by Frances Deng from Brookings on this which I haven't even skimmed yet) and 3. I can't stand to hear Karenga's name when the celebration begins.

At functions, I see about a third of the people very skeptical, another third indifferent, another third really into it. And at the same time Kwanzaa does raise important questions about blacks' relationship to Christianity and to Africa--so I understand how it strikes a chord. I once read an interesting book about the relationship of black Americans to Africans by Bernard Magubane, The Ties That Bind. I wish I had time to revisit it.

Arthur, I have taught high school and college comp, and lived in mixed neighborhoods. I have talked to a lot of people, and it's never been a mattter of my imparting radical views to them; it's often been a matter of my revising my own beliefs. I am only participating on LBO now because of time constraints, so I may not participate on the BRC line the posts from which are most stimulating.

As for Down on the Delta, I am concerned about how completely the City is repudiated for life in what would be an apparently perfectly segregated, albeit highly idealised, black belt in which economic activity would be secured mainly through black entrepreneurship.

Yours, Rakesh