Butler's intro

Sam Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Wed Jan 13 15:27:03 PST 1999

A few suggestions.

Doug Henwood wrote:

> One of the reasions the Psychic Life of Power interests me is that it tries
> to link psychoanalysis and politics, which is something I've been playing
> with on and off for about 20 years. Lately I've been thinking a lot about
> why people believe and think the things they do, in ways that in political
> terms often seem at odds with their self-interest.

If people do not act in their self-interest ,political or otherwise, they are either acting altruisically or acting irrationally. If you prefer the language of psychoanalysis, use rationalization instead of false consciousness. 'False Consciousness' was originally a Freudian term, right? The question is why people do not act in their long-term self interest. One of the tasks of a theory of ideology is to explain this. Elster argues it is a species of adaptive preference formation where one adjusts one's aspirations to what is directly feasible to avoid the frustration of not being able to attain what is more difficult.( sour grapes, you can't get it so you don't want it)This is how one can rationalize that capitalist exploitation is inevitable. A theory of irrational belief formation would include things like self-deception, wishful thinking, cognitive distortions and cognitive dissonance. Irrational beliefs stand in the wrong kind of relation to the world. Rational belief formation taked place when the causes of a belief are the reasons for holding it. Many writers e.g. Habermas have pointed out the similarities between Freudian theory and the Marxian theory of ideology. The difference is that in Freudian theory it is in the individual's own interest that he distort his thinking while in Marxism it is not. Further, Freudian theory tends to be individualized focussing on the individual's beliefs, attitudes and experiences. Ideology focusses on the facts and beliefs about society and about social causation. Society is part of the phenomenon to be explained. Ideology is not idiosyncratic like Freudianism, it is a complex of beliefs and attitudes that a group of people share which is caused by whatever they have in common in their social system. Ideology is formed as Elster suggests by a fallacy of composition where an understanding of the whole is understood from the point of view of the part.(MSM p476.) Thus, the interests of one class look like the interests of society as a whole, leading to false belief formation in capitalism and true belief formation in communism (assuming that the interests of the working class do in reality represent the interests of society as a whole.) Further, ideology is formed when members of a particular class believe the causal processes they perceive from their point of view are valid for the economy as a whole.

Sam Pawlett.