The anthropic principle

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Wed Jan 13 18:57:02 PST 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

> Does anyone know the anthropic principle in cosmology?

Yes.

> Is that idealist?

No.

Well, to be honest, there's an awful lot of foolishness vented -- and distorted versions -- but it's really very much in the tradition of William James' radical empiricism. James took Darwin seriously, and concluded that 'apriori' truths were empirical in origin, having shaped our nervous systems over the course of evolution. He denied the possibility of transcending our nervous systems to attain godlike knowledge.

The anthropic principle is quite similar, only instead of recognizing the backdoor influence of empirical facts on our nervous systems, it recognizes the backdoor influence of empirical facts outside the universe (which determine the relationships of fundamental constants) which determine the very possibility of having ANY knowledge whatsoever.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"