The anthropic principle

shmage at pipeline.com shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 13 21:38:31 PST 1999

Chris Burford asks:

>Does anyone know the anthropic principle in cosmology?
>
>Is that idealist?

James Farmelant gives us no less than four "anthropic principles." All of them are perfectly empty tautologies, reducing to the formula that since we exist in the universe the universe cannot be such that it would be *impossible* for us to exist in it. Paul Henry Rosenberg goes on to claim that this tautology is not "idealist" because it "recognizes the....influence of empirical facts outside the universe." All this is neither "materialist" nor "idealist"--merely the "pouring from the empty into the void" typical of our cosmological "science of new formation."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64