Malcom and Judy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 14 07:29:00 PST 1999

kirk wrote:

>Doug:
>
>I agree that the "stop signs and dog shit" approach has its limits, if there
>is no braoder vision. But it may have prevented an 80's invasion of Central
>America. It may have saved countless lives in terms of drinking water
>contamination. It may have kept some semblance of education in some school
>districts. Probably the most unsung lefty efforts come from those few in
>rural and suburban areas that are inspired by their church beliefs. From my
>involvment in the Sanctuary Movement in the 80's, I came to respect the
>Christian left, who introduce humility into their politics, as well as
>reason. Although the specifics of their faith doesn't speak to me, I think
>the "secular" left can learn something from their tenacity and humanity.
>Thousands of small groups held vigils during the Gulf War, risking more than
>those of us who marched in huge numbers in the urban areas, while their
>efforts went unreported.

Oh, the prominence of Christians in antiwar and debt relief movements really made me soften my anticlericalism, for sure. But Christianity is a vast international movement. By definition, Christians are plugged into social and ideological networks that extend beyond their immediate issue or neighborhood. CISPES, too, and the other anti-intervention groups were national, even international, in scope.

Doug