Solomon,Smith,Barney

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 15 15:29:12 PST 1999

Precisely. The word is that porfits are in the intemerdiary functions of institutions. That is why all the institutions are shutting or cutting down their trading side, SSB, Swiss Bank, Goldamn, Merrill, etc. The trick is to earn risk free fees from holding the money, but only on behalf of others who are taking the risk. The rationale goes something like this: Arbitrage has shown that the increasing efficiency of the markets makes inefficency spreads very minuscule. So large volume is required to achieve a target level of reward. While the techical tools, mostly mathematical, have increase the frequencies of wins, the error from even low probablility losses carries very heavy penalty, as LTCM has shown. So in the new matrix of relative risk and probability, banking is superior to trading as a profit center. In banking, volume is all. Its the zero risk model of finance.

Henry