net madness, part 458

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Jan 15 13:09:26 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Headline of the week, from TheStreet.com:
>
> >Brazil's Woes No Threat to Internet
>
> MarketWatch.com went public about two hours ago at a price of 17; last
> trade, 106, off the high of 130, when the stock was about 40 minutes old.
> See <http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=MKTW&d=1b> for the latest.
>
> This is truly nuts.

Interesting couple of days. Brazil devalues, then gives up the dollar peg. The Dow Jones is unchanged, the nasdaq actually up strongly on these events. If the complete, undisguised failure of the IMF to stop the financial crisis doesn't burst this bubble, what will? Lemmings running out of money? But AMG data reports astonishing inflows to money market accounts week after week. Just where the hell is that money coming from? How can people simultaneously spend more than they earn and send money to their money market accounts? I am really confused.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique