The anthropic principle and Rakesh

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 15 16:38:48 PST 1999

Ingrid Multhopp wrote:Hey Quincy,

> I don't know how much you care to challenge the Orrery Theorem, but a book that does so in a style that may also give you pleasure is "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

The main problem I have with Dawkins's enjoyable work is that bothering to try to *prove* atheism* tends to undermine a privilege many of us born in the 20th century have - that (to turn a phase of Milton's inside out) of being atheists by birthright more than merit. That is, all acceptable arguments begin with materialism as their premise, and any attempt to prove atheism or materialism is redundant or incoherent.

Carrol