Reforming the World's Monitary System-Question

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 14 23:39:20 PST 1999

>This reminds me of something that always frustrates me about
>"mainstream" economists: whether academics like Paul Krugman or pundits
>like Robert Samualson, they all seem to ascribe the slowdown after 1973
>to mysterious causes that no one really knows. The dismantling of the
>Bretton Woods systems is rarely, if ever, mentioned.

Hi gang,

I know everybody should know this, but I don't, so, here goes.

Was this when we went off the gold standard? Was it a response to any particular thing, like the cost of the war or something? Did other countries care? Was it a HUGE deal? Was it a dastardly Nixon adm. plot, like Reagan running up the deficit so we'd have no money for interventionist governing?

Can anyone spare a nutshell?

your grateful student-p.