Popper

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Jan 16 06:31:21 PST 1999

> Yes, Horowitz is detestable but he used to be a leftist and indeed
> came from a 'red-diaper' background. He was also a protoge
> of the Marxist historian Isaac Deutscher, and he achieved
> notoriety in left-wing circles back in the '60s as an editor at
> Ramparts magazine. He also wrote or edited a number of books
> back then, some of which were published by Monthly Review Press.
> Some like his _Marx and Modern Economics_ are still rather
> useful BTW.
> Jim Farmelant

a nasty piece of work that David Horowitz...pop psych folks might say the result, in part, of his inability to come to terms with/resentment of his 'red diaper' rearing...some suggest his neo-con (paleo-con?) turn stems from the success of his co-authored (with David Collier) bios of the Rockefellers and Kennedys...he claims (if memory serves) that he could no longer countenance left deception & dishonesty...but he's a bully and that transcends left wing/right wing (what did Abbie Hoffman say, 'left wing, right wing, wings are for the birds, I'm a human being')...and we've seen the 'god that failed' shit before anyway from Koestler, et al...as Marx wrote, first time tragedy, second time farce...

still, I'd add his edited volume _Corporations and the Cold War_ (1969), also published by MR, to the title James mentions above...it includes essays by, among others, William Domhoff & William Appleman Williams... _Marx & Modern Economics_ (1968) includes excerpted pieces and articles first published elsewhere by, among others, Maurice Dobb, Oskar Lange, Joan Robinson, Paul Baran, & Paul Sweezy...Michael Hoover