Abu-Jamal benefit

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sat Jan 16 09:46:03 PST 1999

It's nothing but a good sign that Rage Against the Machine, Bad Religion, and the Beastie Boys are having a benefit concert for Mumia Abu-Jamal. I wish I could remember the name of the person who bad-mouthed the Beastie Boys on this list a few months ago. That punk purist also said that I was insulting other punk bands for saying that Green Day, the Offspring and Rancid were the most commercially succesful punk bands of late. Bad Religion hasn't done so bad in the 90s either and it's good to see they're on board. It's possible that my prediction has come true and that Rancid's friendship with the Beastie Boys has influenced the latter in a positive way. Their '98 album Hello Nasty was named best of the year by Rolling Stone magazine. Although their special appearance will likely be brief, I'm sure it will be kickin'. I would love to hear a report from anyone who attends.

Peter