The anthropic principle & Rakesh

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Sat Jan 16 11:35:17 PST 1999

Caroll worte: "The main problem I have with Dawkins's enjoyable work is that bothering to try to *prove* atheism* tends to undermine a privilege many of us born in the 20th century have - that (to turn a phase of Milton's inside out) of being atheists by birthright more than merit. That is, all acceptable arguments begin with materialism as their premise, and any attempt to prove atheism or materialism is redundant or incoherent."

Caroll, if I understand you correctly, it seems to me you haven't turned Milton inside out at all. But, I must not understand you. Do you mean that the materialist premise is in some way true on a level that is unique, i.e. not requiring proof?

Quincy