Weimar Russia

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Jan 16 17:30:30 PST 1999

Dear Brad,

I don't think it's a question of gross numbers involved or dollars spent. I think it's a question of seeing that the dollars get to the people who can do the most good with them for the most people.

My grandparents had neighbors named Mike and Mary who were from olde Russia. One day Mike and some of the neighbors were talking politics. A fellow named Newton who was one of the better educated Americans in the conversation accused Mike of being a Bolshevik. Mike was crestfallen and he went home and told Mary what had happened. This made Mary very mad. The next time she saw Newt, she gave him hell. Mary told Newt, "they called Mike a Bolshevik in the old country, that's why we had to come here!"

I don't think speaking Russian would help; thinking Russian would.

Your email pal,

Tom L.