Starr Chamber protest

Sun Jan 17 09:54:08 PST 1999

STOP THE INQUISITION! We proclaim our opposition to the climate of intolerance and repression represented by the Starr investigation and the impeachment proceedings. It is nothing less than an inquisition with its trampling on civil rights and use of threats and humiliation to promote a repressive, Christian fundamentalist morality.

We regard it as an intrusion, even an invasion, of "moralism" against us all. We see the dire implications of all this for our own lives and the lives of people outside the marble halls of Washington: the shredding of personal privacy, the further destruction of legal rights, the breaking down of the separation of church and state, and the imposition of traditional patriarchal morality by official force and general intimidation.

Those signing this statement have different views of Clinton and his policies but we all agree that this inquisition must be stopped. We don't want to live in a society where people are monitored, persecuted and punished for consensual sex between adults. We don't want to live in a society where fundamentalist morality is enforced by police state practices of surveillance and prosecution. We want a different future.

The voice of the people, ignored, even scorned up to now, must be heard!

Kate Millett

Gloria Steinem

Mary Lou Greenberg

Phyllis Chesler

Third Wave Foundation

Frances Fox Piven

Marilyn Fitterman

Sandy Rapp

Galen Sherwin

Gale McGovern

South Jersey Clinic Defense Coalition(Bob

Rowell, MSW, LSW, Co-Coordinator;

Kathy Ruben, PhD, Co-Coordinator)

Deneen Sparks

Charles H. Sumner

Kay Shipton

Isaac Csandl

Rev. Finley Schaef

Manja Barth

Ida Gibbons

Luana Cristofaletti

Sharon D. Kendrick

Ric Urrutia

Stephanie Mercurio

James Lafferty, Exec. Dir., L.A. National

Lawyers Guild

To add your name, individual or organization, email:stopinquisition at hotmail.com, call 212-969-8080, or visit our website at http://members.tripod.com/~stopinquisition

Plans are being developed to present this statement at the Capitol during the trial. It may also be published as an ad. Please indicate if you would like to help with this effort.