Joint Chiefs shakedown?

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 18 22:04:03 PST 1999

Pure fantasy. Don't confuse the American system's immorality with lawlessness. There is no way the military can inject itself into the political process. First of all, the President, though Commander in Chief, is a civilian, and therefore not subject to the military code of justice. Secondly, even if Clinton had personally shot one of the Joint Chiefs, there is no basis or channel for the Joint Chiefs to confront him. It would be pure insubordination. The Joint Chiefs do not appoint the President nor can they remove him. Hitchen is writing a movie script, totally unrelated to reality. The American system remians sound and stable. One of the good things about the American system is civilian control of the military which for two century has never been challenged. Any suggestion to the contrary is self delusion.