butler... dispossession

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Mon Jan 18 20:57:56 PST 1999

While I nod in deep agreement that master race fantasies include homophobia, I think that fear of becoming swallowed by the fecund dark masses has a bit more oblique connection to homophobia than Chuck's post suggests.

Isn't homophobia related to a fear of "race suicide," that is, a fear of not being fecund enough? If so, within master race fantasies, queers may not be so squarely located at the heart of the great dark continent of the (re)producers. Homophobia must have something to do with a displacement of the master race anxieties of not producing enough children onto a renegade subsection of the "white race."

Yoshie ----------

I was imagining mythological themes and their root beds in the psyche, so these are not rational connections. What occurred to me on the way to my root canal was that homosexuality evokes or I humorously imagine it evokes primal fears of the body, male violation and the horror of living things in the hand. Cocks hanging on sweaty walls, or running around loose on the floor like scurrying little rats with sickening smiles and voracious appetites. And the anus, like the vagina--the catacombs of the body have a mystery about them--who knows where they lead, what lives in there--so these violation horrors could also be seen as a generalized atavistic horror. But these are only part of this homophobia. There is the confusion of genders, men who are women and men who are super men who are also women--not to mention women who are super women and men and not either or both. These twists and turns of gender are deformities of moral rectitude and its alignment with the natural he-she order of the universe--cripples and mutations of the mind and spirit.

But most of all I thought of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence--a gay men's street theater act with lipstick, make-up, and nun habits--once upon a time, very funny stuff. The fears I imagined are more concrete and threatening than the more abstract and rational ideas of failing to reproduce the master race--those you mention above. So, I think homophobia in the master race takes place at this more elemental level. Fecundity of blood, slime, and earth, wounds and flesh, uncontrollable and atavistic penises and rank growths, mysterious and cavernous tombs of the body--those sort of psychic horrors I imagine pervade the whitewing christian mind as they become almost speechless at the thought--I mean, when Jessie Helmes, Trent the Lott, et. al looked at Maplethrop's photography, I am sure they saw waaay other.

None of this has to be true or even real, of course. It was just the way my twisted mind was working this morning in the dentist chair.

Chuck Grimes