Paula on Brazil, and............Investor's Business Daily on Social Security & MLK

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 19 07:51:02 PST 1999

pms wrote:

>Of course, since someone pointed out that Carter's troubles didn't start
>till Bert Lance was gone, I've taken my paranoia to new levels.

Don't forget that Bert Lance told Carter that if he yielded to Wall Street pressure and appointed Paul Volcker chair of the Federal Reserve, he could kiss is re-election chances goodbye. Old Bert sure called that one right.

>IBD has headline article on Soc. Sec. First, everyone agrees it's in the
>crapper, then, investing in the market will save it, but, towards the end
>of the article, when they are actually quoteing folks on the commission it
>seems like everything they've said falls apart, but they don't recognize
>it. Still, I bet a lot of people never get to page 2 of the article where
>all the negative assessment is laid out. What a reactionary rag this is.
>No wonder I'm so fond of BW. Is IBD an influential paper?

Not really. Stock geeks like it for all the charts and stats, but I don't think anyone really reads the thing. (They used to run an ad campaign on the old FNN with some rube thrusting aside a big pile of Wall Street Journals, complaining, "I just can't keep up with all this *reading*!" His visitor recommended IBD - the paper for the literacy-challenged.) IBD published by the rightwing nutcase William O'Neil from LA, who made his fortune publishing expensive stock charts for speculators in the pre-computer days. Back when the paper was young, and still known as Investor's Daily, they had a pro-contra front-page editorial; at least the WSJ has the good taste to keep the ugly stuff hidden on the edit page. I don't know what's happened to O'Neil's chart service now that you can get all that info in real time instead of waiting a week or two for a hard-to-read printed version.

Doug