What "Black Nationalism Debates" Do to Us

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 19 09:06:13 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> But given the long, embarrassing history of white people telling black
> people what to do, and enumerating their shortcomings, I understand your
> discomfort. On the third hand, it's impossible to discuss U.S. politics
> without talking about "race," and it's hard to talk about "race" without
> talking about black nationalism. And it'd be hard

Actually, in practice, this embarassment is not all that hard to resolve. The difficulty has not come from whites talking about black nationalism -- the difficulty has come from whites claiming that blacks were wrong to talk about black nationalism. I think I want to stick to my original post to Lou, telling him that he should not respond to Rakesh because Rakesh's posts were of no relevance to anything.

This whole thread has been but one more banal episode in that long embarassing history you speak of .

Carrol