white nationalism - permutations of it

rc&am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Jan 19 20:01:36 PST 1999

Charles Brown wrote:

> The issue on this list
> should be abolish
> White Nationalism
> FIRST !

well, yes. and this also includes a discussion of strategies for doing so, which, unless we were going to define this list as a space for white folks, also includes those strategies those of us who are not white have moved through or are committed to (and this includes black nationalism). nevertheless, to re-focus this discussion in this way might be a good thing, if only to minimize the inflection toward thinking that black nationalism is the principal, or even pertinent, cause of racism. (i don't think rakesh has actually been saying this, but i suspect this is how others have read his posts)

so, here's a suggestion for discussion:

in australia (and i suspect in the US as well to some degree), multiculturalism has been proffered as the most appropriate strategy for abolishing racism. (now, maybe this is not so strong in the US, you yanks will have to correct me, but it is cast as the generalised response to the resurgence of a virulent racism here in aust.) my problem is this: that multiculturalism is simply a heightened form of white nationalism, a kind of hobbesian state practice in which the slogan 'unity in diversity' asserts unity on the basis of the more or less explicit sovereignty of a 'white subjectivity' (in australia, this is regularly described as 'western values'). this pluralism is simply the old assimilationism in a new form, which promotes tolerance - meaning it assumes either a) that the subject who is to tolerate the other is 'white'; or b) if it assumes that the 'other' is also to tolerate, it admonishes them (us) for not putting up with the horrors set upon them with the proper christian attitude of 'turning the other cheek'. the same goes for the slogan of 'reconciliation', which is now de rigeur in aust politics. all these are routinely put forth as that which will solve the problem of racism in australia! and, not just by the 'white folks' either - this seems to be a general stance.

not to mention the other 'solution' being put forward, which is to do the work of the racists by closing the borders even more, such that the very existence of immigrants is considered to be the trigger for racism.

i've also mentioned before why a 'myth v facts' approach has not worked, cannot work.

anyone have any other ideas? (tell me some about the 'race traitor' stuff)

angela