What "Black Nationalism Debates" Do to Us

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jan 20 08:51:38 PST 1999

> Rakesh wrote,
>
> "[DRUM/LRBW] never developed alliances outside of detroit and
> fell apart. It
> cannot be proposed as a model of action unless we know why it failed."
>
> Nonsense. Where was Rakesh while all this history was being made? Reading
> tracts from the 1930s and 1940s?
>
> First, these comrades were connected to revolutionary Black networks
> throughout the Midwest. . . .

There were also LRBW auto caucuses in New Jersey. As a NJ native I'd also like to note that R's anti-semitic slurs on Amiri Baraka are grossly overblown. I was no buddy of Baraka's, but his problem was with certain chubby Italians, not Jews.

Reckless Rakesh again:

> . . . Black nationalist organizations are more willing to counsel against
radicalizing the workers movement beyond conservative and objectively racist trade union leadership and instead challenging companies to do more minority franchising. It's clear that Jesse Jackson was more cynical than almost anybody but Reed believed. . . . >

This is an amazingly breathless generalization and conflation of vastly diverse groups and personalities . . . Almost as if all nationalists look alike.

More tripe:

> . . . Even the definition of radical black action has been defined down,
to paraphrase Moynihan: radicalism is staying in the Demo Party and supporting the AFL CIO despite Farakhan's move to the Republicans. >

Say what? Farrakhan in the GOP?

All this, as well as R's prescriptions on how to engage in politics, reminds me of Lucy manning her advice booth in the Peanuts cartoon strip.

NOBODY with any political experience beyond isolated campus hijinks could take this seriously.

It's appropriate to quote something I heard Baraka say in a talk 30 years ago about radicals and blacks, something I took to heart. He said if you're serious about politics, you should be able to organize your own people. Not be hovering and fussing all the time about black organizations. Even though he was in his nationalist period, he did not preclude the possibility of alliances, given that elementary litmus test of political seriousness.

mbs