disabled hurt by ADA

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Jan 20 08:53:22 PST 1999

Although the ADA was
> meant to increase employment of the disabled, it also increases
> costs for employers. The net theoretical impact turns on which
> provisions of the ADA are most important and how responsive firm
> entry and exit is to profits. Empirical results using the CPS
> suggest that the ADA had a negative effect on the employment of
> disabled men of all working ages and disabled women under age
> 40. The effects appear to be larger in medium size firms,
> possibly because small firms were exempt from the ADA. The
> effects are also larger in states where there have been more
> ADA-related discrimination charges. Estimates of effects on
> hiring and firing suggest the ADA reduced hiring of the disabled
> but did not affect separations.

Can't let this go by. You can not demonstrate a negative effect without demonstrating a change in employment statistics. There is no such fall. What is provided are 'estimates' and 'net theoretical impact'. I am almost certain that statistical reports before and after ADA would show the opposite--an increase in employment--new hires, etc, particularly dependent on education levels.

This is pure shit for brains work. Believe me, nobody in business would hire a cripple or pay equal pay if it were not for ADA.

Chuck Grimes