Greenspan Opposes Investing Social Security In Stocks

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:10:28 PST 1999

It just seems somewhat strange to me to see a Fed chairman engaging so brazenly in partisan politics - usually they tend at least try to give the immpression of impartiality. I guess it's just a measure of politically untouchable Saint Alan has become...

As far as "soft privatization" goes: what do the D.C. handicappers on the list think the chances are that the dems and repugs will bicker enough that we'll get lucky and they do nothing?

Jim Baird

>He's said this before. Republican capital seems not to want any federal
>money in the stock market; Democratic capital likes the idea. (Unions
and
>philanthropies already have big stock portfolios.) Greenspan is a
>Republican. On top of that, it could be that the central banker in him
gets
>nervous about injecting big public funds into an already frothy market.
It