disabled hurt by ADA

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 19:04:04 PST 1999

<< Although the ADA was

> meant to increase employment of the disabled, it also increases

> costs for employers. The net theoretical impact turns on which

> provisions of the ADA are most important and how responsive firm

> entry and exit is to profits. Empirical results using the CPS

> suggest that the ADA had a negative effect on the employment of

> disabled men of all working ages and disabled women under age

> 40. The effects appear to be larger in medium size firms,

> possibly because small firms were exempt from the ADA. The

> effects are also larger in states where there have been more

> ADA-related discrimination charges. Estimates of effects on

> hiring and firing suggest the ADA reduced hiring of the disabled

> but did not affect separations.

-------------

Can't let this go by. You can not demonstrate a negative effect

without demonstrating a change in employment statistics. There is no

such fall. What is provided are 'estimates' and 'net theoretical

impact'. I am almost certain that statistical reports before and after

ADA would show the opposite--an increase in employment--new hires,

etc, particularly dependent on education levels.

This is pure shit for brains work. Believe me, nobody in business

would hire a cripple or pay equal pay if it were not for ADA.

Chuck Grimes>>>

I agree with Chuck -- in fact, the same argument has been used in eeoc cases: the passage of quotas hurt the employment of women, blacks, etc. maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com