homophobia

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Fri Jan 22 04:59:21 PST 1999

The sex acts themselves have of course been around forever (just check out those medival sculptures of cherubs eating each other. ancient Greek proclivites well-known, etc) and Angela's right that there has probably always been same-sex desire in some fashion. But there seems to be a lot of consensus among historians (D'Emilio, Katz, the fellow who wrote the excellent Gay New York, whose name now escapes me) that the communities, lifestyles, hangouts, etc. that make same-sex desire a viable habit flourished under urbanization, and barely exisited before. Jonathan Katz argues in The Invention of Heterosexuality (also v.good), that no sexual identities or categories exisited much before the last turn of the century.

Liza