homophobia

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Fri Jan 22 06:22:54 PST 1999

Sure, there are examples of homosexually-inclined people and of social disapproval towards them (as well as total social approval/indifference) throughout written history. Check out the contested history of same-sex marriage in Early Christian and Middle Ages (John Boswell's Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe). But neither language nor communities that defined homosexuality as a meaningful social category,either for homophobic and homosexual purposes, existed much before this century. Urbanization made it more possible for all kinds of people to exist outside the nuclear family -- not only homosexuals but single people, particularly women, began to exist in a large-scale socially significant way. to provoke a hostility that they simply hadn't when there weren't that many of them.

Liza