Hong Kong social land management

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Jan 21 19:48:05 PST 1999

more old e-stuff from my files...

> Date: Saturday, November 14, 1998 9:12 PM
>
> > (btw: the Chinese characters for Hong Kong mean
> >Fragant Harbor - pronounced Heung Gong, the 'eu' resembling the
> >syllable in French - an apparent reference to the area's one
> >natural blessing that long ago lost any pleasant aroma that
> >might have spawned the name, pollution having turned the deep
> >blue water into brown sewage, the flotsam of industrial society)...
>
> Eh, come on, the situation isn't that grim: I can confirm that the sea is
> still blue (see photo from my window at
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/8883/dayhk.jpg ). Perhaps you
> confuse it with Macau, but there the brown colour is due to the soil
> suspended in the waters of the Pearl River.
> Half of the citizens live in public housing
> Enzo

last things first: percentage living in public housing was established when this now dead/dormant thread began in August or September last year...

checked out pic, couldn't really tell much...hasn't land reclamation led to decreased volume of water flow in Victoria Harbour resulting in declining self-cleansing ability?...what have been consequences of using marine sand as source of fill materials?...haven't dredging and dumping operations adversely affected fishing areas and ecologically important habitats?...haven't heavy metals deposited deep in sebead been released in the course of dredging?...what about the loss of the Harbour as a vital 'city lung' for improving ventilation and reducing air pollution because of expansion of core urban areas and increased road traffic?...won't current and projected reclamation further narrow the Harbour making shipping more dangerous from funnel effects resulting in stronger tidal currents and choppier waters?...Michael Hoover