Let's be Doug's focus group, y'all

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Thu Jan 21 20:15:51 PST 1999

John K. Taber wrote:

> Subject: Re: Radio Doug
>
> Doug said:
>
> Thanks. I wish I'd had the details behind his assertion that today's
> workers will get a negative return from their SS taxes. I suspect they use
> preposterously high real interest rates to deflate the value of future
> benefits

Wouldn't it be better to hammer the point that SS is _not_ an investment program, and that talking about "rates of return" is absurd? It seems to me that once you start arguing over interest rates, present value and all of that you habe implicitly conceded the debate; in the public mind, "stock market" and "highest rates of return" are indelibly one and the same. And the privatizers have the numbers behind them, at least until the bubble bursts.

Enrique