Liberation theology redux? II

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Jan 22 11:28:33 PST 1999

I apologize for going over the daily limit, but I just had to offer this postcript to my previous papal posting: i.e., if the Pope *is* going to give capitalists a sound thumping on his current Mexican jaunt, he's certainly getting off to a curious start. From today's SLATE:

"The NYT front reports that the Pope is returning to Mexico. But it's an inside piece at the WP that has the most surprising news about the upcoming visit--this time, he has corporate sponsors, including Pepsi, Federal Express, Sheraton Hotels, Kodak, Hewlett-Packard and Mercedes-Benz. Church officials defend the practice, says the Post, as a way of avoiding charging the poor to see the pontiff. Perhaps the wackiest papal product placement is the Frito-Lay promotion that plays off the word 'papa,' which--thank God--means both 'pope' and 'potato.'"

Carl Remick